Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why You Love Old Men?

Some of Rachel's kids in Phonics yesterday were talking about the Korean pop band, Big Bang, and asked me if I loved them and G. Dragon (one of the members of Big Bang who also has a solo career, think J.T. of N'Sync), specifically. I told them I wasn't very familiar with the music, so they started singing some songs then asked me what band I did love. Instead of going the usual route of "Of Montreal" without even blinking about it, I said the Beatles. They'd never heard of them. I was kind of shocked, aren't/weren't they loved internationally? I know the height of their popularity was in the 60s and 70s, but they're the Beatles, man; they're timeless, and my children will grow up on Beatles' nursery rhymes. Anyway, they asked me to sing a song - I shoulda done "Yellow Submarine" but "Rocky Raccoon" was the only thing that came into my mind and I figured it too obscure for their pop infused minds to understand/appreciate, especially with my voice behind it. Then I said, "Well, they're older so maybe you've never heard of them for that reason." They asked how old and I said a couple of them were dead - I didn't want to get into explaining assassination to 7 and 8 y.o.'s. Then this Alex kid asked, "Why you love old men?"so honest and true that I couldn't help but laugh. I explained that I loved their music and not not then said, "Hey! This isn't Phonics we're talking about here. Let's get back to work so we can play Simon Says at the end!" False motivation that was as we didn't finish early enough to get a game in, maybe next week... if they're good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!