Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day One: Now Wasn't that Fun!?

Ch-Ch-CHINA stories here we gooooooooooooooooooo!!!

From the events of Saturday, December 26, 2009. I should start out by saying that Christmas lasted a bit longer than I intended it to... there was a nice family-style dinner with friends, followed by meeting with other friends at NOW bar.

Plan: Briana and I were to meet up 'round 8:40a to trek to the airport bus that left at 9a. I woke up with a start from a Briana text reading "u coming?" at 8:46a. OH NO!! I got up, phone to my ear and started flying around my apartment in a daze, throwing last minute items into my suitcase... exactly like the McCallisters in their morning rushings after their external power was cut off (my internal seemed to have failed me), "Briana!" I cried into the phone, "I just woke up. Go to the bus, I'll meet you there. We will make this bus! We will." She agreed, but their was skepticism in her voice. I don't blame her; we missed the bus, but we were able to get a cab for 80,000 won - funnily enough the first guy quoted 150,000, then this second guy said 120,000 we said, "No. 100,000" and walked away, but then he called out, "80,000!" Alright, I like this.

The flight was less than enjoyable, A1. because I wasn't feeling the greatest. B2. apparently China Southern Airlines manufactured their planes in 1978 and haven't updated since. It was a bumpy and loud ride to say the least. I went between sleeping and sweating and vomiting - I felt just like a little baby, but I didn't cry. Rough.

Oh! And in my sickly haze, I checked that I had a cough on the medical card, and when we de-planed, I was semi-detained. I had to go get my temperature checked and wear a mask, but that was sort of fun and I felt like I fit right in. I was total money cause I only had a common cold, but the guy didn't seem to appreciate his time being taken. What else were you going to do, guy? Get over it.

IN CHINA!!! Beijing to be exact! Briana and I met Tony (the dude we stayed with and Briana's friend) and his lady, Xie Yichen (pronounced "E Chen") at the airport and hopped into a cab - I sat in the front and dry-heaved with my head out the window a couple times. Ugh. WELCOME TO CHINA!! I napped for a bit because I still felt sick, and missed a lunch snack at a poetic menu restaurant ("Hoodwinks the type to roast Yang Bang" for chicken legs).

We had dinner at some pizza place (I know, but it was a group thing, and there was a whole week to indulge on the country's cuisine) by a lake that started with an H - maybe Haitang, or maybe I just made that up, I don't care enough to check. Afterward we went to a reggae bar nearby. It was so crazy getting there!! We were walking down the lane, minding our own business, and we see a line of bars ahead of us, so we continue on our way and we are approached by excited men in long coats and big hats, "You like drinks? Music? Come. Come!" we keep walking, it happens again. In front of every bar/club there was at least one guy to round up people and get 'em inside. They got so close to your face. If there wasn't someone outside, they were inside and if you saw them seeing you approaching, then they'd run out and say, "Hey! Hey! Inside. Here." and I couldn't help but laugh. Personal space doesn't seem to exist in China, though in the experience of the overall trip, they don't bump into you like the Koreans do (shoving you this way and that without apology)... strange. We ended up at 31 Bar (reggae-ish) because they didn't rush out at us and it sounded good inside. Oh yeah, live music inside every place we walked by. Wow! Our music men were great, they played flamenco and a variety of other sounds; the lead singer sounded like Colin Hayes - very enjoyable.

Oh. And also, there were horror stories told about muggings and organ stealing. Apparently Briana heard a story about an old couple going to get a taxi at the Summer Palace, or some place, and the old woman got inside first, then the taxi just sped off and the husband was left to worry and panic... days later, her organs were sold on the black market... or something. I can't say I believed this story, but believe you me I didn't doubt it and I thought about it every time we hopped into a cab. Yikes.

So, that's day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!