Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Have a Funny Time!"

I went skiing at Phoenix Park in the western province of Gangwon over the Lunar New Year holiday (February 13-15) with some friends through a travel group, Adventure Korea, and it was FANTASTICALLY fun!! I was a little anxious about what the skiing conditions would be like as the weather was starting to warm and rain the week prior to our departure, and one of my friends kept recounting the story when she was hit on a Canadian slope by a Korean man, stating that most-to-all Koreans ski above their level. Well, if that isn't a sweeping generalization, then I don't know what is. Then again, all Americans are loud and arrogant, right? Oy. Regardless, the weather turned out to be splendid - it snowed Saturday, and was pret-ty, pret-ty, pretty chilly on Sunday (perfect!); the skiiers, and 'boarders, too(!) were excellent on the slopes.
(actually a photo from Sunday, but I like it because the mountains look like they're draped in velvet.)

The mountain wasn't really that, but more of a cluster of small, steep-ish hills, which after not skiing once since February '07, I was completely okay with. Oh, but first, getting to the mountain was fun in itself. I met half of my friends outside our apartments at 5:50a - we barely made the 7:30a departure, but had time to spare because there were other people who were caught in the traffic we barely missed. Phew! We got to the mountain - again, I use this term loosely - around 11ish, rented our gear (I'm 5'8" = 173cm = 162cm skis...?) and I'm happy to say that they supplied snowsuits, too, as they made for amazing photos!
I felt like my friends' coach here! Racing team, go! Then, we hit the slopes 'round noon:thirty for some snowy good times. Like I said, Saturday was delightfully snow-filled, and I have to say that despite not skiing for two years, I think I did pretty well. There were a couple moments on ice patches on the steeper parts of the "Blues" that I started singing The Beatles to myself (I used to do that as a child when I went down slopes that I was under qualified for/terrified on - it was calming.) but my singing was drowned out by the K-pop and American rap music they had blasting out of the speakers. I wised up on Sunday and popped in the right ear of my iPod. Both days were great all around. Saturday with the snow and soaking up the atmosphere, and Sunday was even better because I hit up all the slopes - Double Blacks included!! (But don't be fooled, the slopes went like this: Green = bunny hill. Blue = Green. Black = Green/Blue. Double Black = Blue-ish. Me = Pro.) 
After skiing times on Sunday we headed over to Blue Canyon Water Park, which was just a short walk from our hostel (we stayed right at the bottom of the slopes; it was so convenient) in the resort area. Sunday night was probably my favorite part of the trip: a1) because of the water park with its outdoor hot tubs(!) and b2) the night skiing!!
Also, the 'boarders at the park were awesomely geared up, but I didn't expect anything less, as all the Koreans I've known are also some of the most fashionable people I know! They make me happy. And(!) not only did they ride the slopes in style, they actually rode the slopes!! There wasn't any sitting around and lollygagging for them, they just rode, rode, rode! That was probably the most amazing thing to me, but that's another thing, Koreans don't seem to take their hobbies lightly, when they pick something up, they quickly become the best at it - so I've seen, and I admire their dedication and determination.
The night skiing was prime because the slopes were pretty bare (the place kept running until 2 or 3a!! we were out from 10-11:30p after the water park), it was calm with the slope music off, and the fresh night mountain air was just pure refreshing! 
All in all it was a great trip! We headed back to Seoul a little before 1pm on Monday, making for a most excellent three-day weekend adventure with friends (old and new)!!


PS - the title of this post comes from when one of the lift operators told me and my friends to yes, "have a funny time!" and we did; there was a lot of laughing this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!