Monday, April 5, 2010

What a FIND!!!

On my way home from school tonight, Kat and I stumbled upon a pile of someone's unwanted goods. JACKPOT!! She walked with a small set of drawers and I got a small shelving unit - I've been wanting some shelves to alleviate the stacks and stacks of papers, books, other things stackable around my apartment. Huzzah!

Then, I was able to sweet talk Andrea, Jennie, Kat and Annie into helping me move a couch from Sara's apartment to my place. When we got to Sara's she had a new couch, and it was a couch she found in the park, and it was a nice couch. The new couch I have is orange with silver-gold swirls and I'm very excited to have another sitting surface. There kind of isn't any room for it and it's currently blocking the entrance to my "laundry closet" but that's okay, climbing is fun. I HAVE A COUCH!! Maybe I could pivot it and use it as a partition between kitchen and living space... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

All of these good finds tonight made me so grateful, a1.) for sweet street finds: "new" shelving unit, desk/table my laptop and other paper piles reside on, and b2.) friends sharing their finds when they move or get tired of them: nightstand, trashcan, lamp(!), and "new" couch. When I stop on the street to inspect the goods left behind ("This table/chair/what-have-you is in great condition! Why would anyone throw it away?" Do a wobble test: "Durable, too!"), I laugh and think of immigrants back home who get their trucks out and slowly scour through the alleys and sidewalks of Chi City looking for sweet finds. Well, the only thing that separates them from us - they have trucks, those lucky ducks! Yes indeed. Sweet finds. They excite us, and for good reason: they're in good shape, and most importantly, they are free.
Korea, you continue to make me smile. The well of stories you provide me with gets deeper on the daily. I (make a heart with my hands) you. ^^

I took Andrea and Kat out for twist ice cream after the heavy lifting and pivoting, and it was taaaaaaasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!