Thursday, February 24, 2011

Guam

What a weird place, Guam. The word itself. Guam. The whole living on a tropical island thing. The whole island thing. A teeny tiny island that isn't even located on some maps of the world. So small that it's just a speck in the sea. That blows my mind every time I try to think about it. The world is a terrifyingly huge place. And the fact that we're just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Mariana Trench (hence Guam being one of the Marianas Islands) - which is basically the earth's core, but not, because apparently somewhere in the Arctic Circle is closer - is even crazier. I know it's been explored, but I like to think that's where the Kraken lives (in the trench, not the AC). Apparently the trench is why Guam is never hit by tsunamis or tidal waves... but wait, that's a lie, because we could totally be rocked from the east, and I guess there were some aftershocks after the big Chile quake... but that's what people like to say here, that the trench is the protector of this place, and I'm not going to be the one to stop that rumor from going along because it does something for the west (my side).

I want to scuba dive over the Mariana Trench. Can I do that? From the way people talk about it, I thought it really was doable for a day dive, but apparently it's 290 miles away, or something. I don't think that would work out, and I'd probably chicken out anyway, given when I think about the possibility of diving over that gaping hole and staring into the dark abyss makes me gag. Basically infinity. But since I'm not Lance Bass, or that guy who owns British Airways and the rest of the Isles, diving is probably the closest I'm going to get to feeling like an astronaut, and you're supposed to do one thing that scares you a day, and that would probably work for the rest of my life if I make it out alive.

Another thing I want to write about is the whole same thing every day. I used to dream about living in a place where it was perfect weather every single day, and now I do, and I think, is this all a dream?, but then I have to do things like laundry and pay bills and I know that it's real life. I seriously need to do some laundry, because sometimes I need to do things outside this Bubbleland (which I'll get to blogging about one day). I should also fill in the rest of my Japan trip, and try to tell you more about my SE Asia and India travels, also that one time I went to a cock fight with my Filipino friend, Art, but it wasn't just one, there were so many different roosters fighting and there were parking attendants, and really bright lights and snacks, and nothing at all like anything I envisioned. But I don't know when I'm going to do all these things, because as much as I do want to write it all out, I am working an awful lot and I'm living on an island, and sometimes when I'm not working I like to sleep, or swim, or explore on my scooter, or jump off high things and scare myself. One day all of these words in this paragraph will be highlighted with links to other posts. One day. One day when my stomach doesn't hurt because all I ate for dinner was ice cream and Cheez-Its... it seemed like such a good idea at the time, and now I'm going to bed and I'm probably going to have apocalyptic dreams with trampolines (because I worked there today and I'm also Nostradamus reincarnated).

This was a mess of a post, huh? Also pretty weird that I called myself out on that? Also pretty strange that I didn't edit any of this stuff out?

1 comment:

  1. I want to hear more about INDIA!!

    I ate an entire bag of Pirate's Booty (have you heard of it) the other day...it was my dinner..along with some fudgy brownies mmmmm...so I can relate to you on the tum tum!

    Hurry home!

    ReplyDelete

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!