Thursday, January 13, 2011

Perpetual Summer

Yo, yo, yo!

So I've been thinking about it, and by the time I get back to the States it will be the beginning of summertime, and I'll have been living in Summer Land for a year(!). I kind of miss seasons, but then I hear about snow closing things and breaking things and killing people, and I turn and look outside at the palm trees and I decide I don't miss it so much. (I'm not trying to rub it in, seriously - I'll be back for next year's frigidity and it's really weird here because every day feels exactly the same; some days it rains for a little bit and is occasionally cloudy only during that time. Though last week it was pretty rainy and gray, and windy, and that made 70 feel really cold - especially up on a chair exposed in a bathing suit.)

Anyway, here's a picture of me in the sunny summer weather, "working" at the Swim-Through Aquarium. The rotation is referred to as "Rock" and I'm candidly captured waving to a group of guests in life vests, snorkel masks, no cotton, make-up or sun cream, who I may or may not have to "rescue" - usually somewhere in the area to the left of me because it gets deep there. (The Splash Pool is in this rotation and it's pretty awesome going there after sitting Laps and Kids' [Pools] for 30 minutes each because you run around and play with the kids. Actually we're supposed to stand in between the two slides to monitor, but sometimes guest interaction trumps duty and the pool is super cold so it's best to run around and keep warm because every time I decide to step out of the water, whether it be for a drink of water or to escape the shallow ice bath, a manager walks by, "Kate. I really need you to stand in the water between the slides. The kids are counting on you. Thanks." They don't really get all after school special (the kids' parents are always with them, too, either in the water or videotaping from the side) like that and they're really just a captain or supervisor, but still it happens and I think c'mon! one second.) Also behind me is my home away from home, also the tallest building on island, also where I did yoga on the [out of service, pretty sure never used] heli-pad the other night - whoa.
PS - I won "BEST SMILE OF THE MONTH" for December, and you'd think that'd be awesome, and it kind of is, but instead of giving me a bag of mangoes or money, I get an extra [un-paid] day off. I will use this day, believe you me, but - ahhh, well, beggars can't be choosers.

(And sorry I haven't been keeping you updated, or posting more [read: any] pictures from my travels; I've been working 55+ hours a week and I'm a bit tired... Everyday feels like however many shifts you work, so an "All Day Eve", or 8:30a-10p feels like three days as you have an AM, PM and the EVE shift. It's slightly maddening though mostly confusing, especially when I see a guest and I say "HEY!" as if it's been a long time since we've seen one another. A super love-hate relationship as it's nice to be busy and have so many guest to meet and laugh with, and the money is fun, but sleep is pretty wonderful too, as is some semblance of an off-property personal life that you're not exhausted or too worn out to partake in. Next week should slow down a bit and I can't wait to ramble to you more about everything. STAY WARM AND HAPPY!!!!)

2011! - and don't forget it when dating important - or any - documents; think. Robots. Daily Life. It all started with the Roomba. (Please note that I'm shaking my head in all seriousness right now. Terminators weren't no lies; Arnold's not the governor anymore, and he might not be bored for so long. 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!