Sunday, May 29, 2011

Date Line


I'm hours away. Less than an hour until I leave for the airport. My bags are most likely overweight. I've acquired a few things, unfortunately.

There's no time to blog. It's 4:05am. I leave around 6a and I arrive at 5a. How does that work?

Time travel.

I can't really expand on this story, but I'm convinced I'm going to cross over into the Twilight Zone when I cross the date line. Like John Lithgow with gremlin on the wing. A dark and stormy night as soon as I cross over. Of course I'm the only one who notices said gremlin, and then when I try to tell the others their ears will be sealed with skin and their eyes will be sewn shut, deaf and blind to my panic. I'll then try to click my heels and Dorothy my way "There's no place like home," but it won't work. Looking down I'll see that I have no feet, therefore no heels to click. All of a sudden I wake up in my bed and it's August 2009 and I never even left.

It was all a dream.

I hear the sky is different back home. It makes sense; won't mirror the ocean. There's no ocean in the midwest. No mountains, either. I'm not so sure how this is going to work.

I'm excited. I'm scared. I'm confused.

What just happened? Where am I?

I think I might read Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" sometime soon. Willa Cather quoted it in "Death in the Desert":

For ever and for ever, farewell, Cassius; 
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile; 
If not, why then, this parting was well made.


Guam was good to me. Korea too. And every place in between.

I can't help but feel like this isn't the end, but only the beginning, and I look forward to what will happen next despite my fear of the uncertain future.


I'm excited to see my friends. My family, too! (but that's just a given)

I still need to shower and paint my nails and pile on the layers, just in case.

1 comment:

  1. The original gremlin on the wing was with a young William Shatner. Just thought you would like to know, but you probably already did.

    ReplyDelete

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!