Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Guh-guh-GUAM!!

I pack up my belongings and I head for the coast.

I made it! Safe and sound, and not really sleepy even though it's almost 4am here and I have to be up and cheery for a breakfast meeting. So much excitement! So much confusion! I'm happy to be here because it means that I get to quit moving from place to place. Oy! A bit tired, but completely wired... obviously - seeing as how I'm typing like a Leprechaun (proper noun?).

When I first arrived in Guam's dirty airport, circa 1987 (polar opposite of ICN's sleek terminals filled with duty frees of Gucci, Ferragamo, Swarovski, Cartier and the like, all in extra splendor from the G20 Summit) one of the customs guys asked me what I was doing here, and when I replied that I was working at this resort, he said "I hope you like swimming." And I DO! So that's good news.

My head is in a whirlwind trying to place myself on this planet. Like I said, it's good to be settled, even if the settling takes place in the staff quarters (read: dorm-like, service elevator entry) which is a hotel room. HOTELS!! There's a balcony, TV, fridge (though no cups, and I ran out of room, so I drank some water out of a coffee filter... WHAT!?), and a bed - which I am going to go toss and turn in until the sun comes up.

Here's a song that parts of remind me of what's happening right now


It might not be a lot but I feel like I'm making the most.

PS - it smells a bit weird in here, so we're going to have to do something to remedy that. An IcyHot sort of smell - mixed with mold, and I know it's not from my stuff. Good thing I bought all that incense in India!! And I always wanted to live in a hotel... granted this isn't exactly the Park Ave. penthouse that I had in mind, but it being on a tropical island when the rest of my former worlds have descended into a bitter winter, I think I'll manage.

Seriously - I think they cleaned the carpets with IcyHot. I wish I was joking. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!