Thursday, March 4, 2010

Unusual Punishment

The differences between cultures always amuse me, and that doesn't cease to exist with punishment for the kids at school.

I always try to give my kids a second chance when they misbehave - well, depending on the severity of the situation - but sometimes punishment is the only way to get positive results. Taking stars away from the misbehave-rs usually does the trick, but sometimes that isn't enough to hit the message home and then I have to resort to the "three strikes and you're out" rule. Three strikes and you're on the 'Thinking Feet', not only are you on the 'Thinking Feet', but you have to stand with your arms raised straight above your head and you can't come back to sit down until your arms ache. Ouch! I know, but I didn't come up with it; Katie Teacher, one of the Korean staffers used to make the unruly kids do it if they misbehaved after lunch (there's some all school activity every day after lunch, on the sixth floor) and then Morganne made one of her kids stand on the 'Feet' and I guess the kid was leaning on the wall and Morganne said, "Off!" but the kid thought she said "Up!" and up went their arms. It worked.

Another instance of punishment is when two (or I suppose more, too) kids get in a fight they have to hold hands and look into each other's eyes when they apologize and then they're made to stand, hugging, for a matter of minutes. Two of my elementary-aged boys got into a fight during one of the play breaks and when I was going upstairs they were in the process of the minutes-long hugging, it was all I could do not to laugh at them.

Classes changed for the new semester this week, and I really hope that I don't have to go into wall standing right away. I have 11 students!! I went from three to 11!! It's a little overwhelming and I worry that I won't be able to give them each enough attention, but I'm trying. They are all really amazing little people, outrageous personalities from the meek but wild to the goody-too-shoes "Teacher! Teacher!" to the sweet and docile - and more! We practiced silence in the halls today, and it went okay. Day by day. I'm going to continue teaching straight through M, W, F's and I starting next week I'm going to teach a Drama Class on Tu and Th's which I'm pretty stoked about. So, again, with this many children, I'm really hoping for no unusual punishments. Cross your fingers for me (and them)! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!