Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dangerous Drivers

I've told you before, yes? The drivers in Korea are ka-razy!! Remember the example of teaching my kids "Red Light! Green Light!"? Eric earnestly said, "But my Mom doesn't stop at red lights." And it's true, they don't. A couple of Wednesday's ago, my student, David, was actually hit by a car. I was informed of this via a note taped to my laptop. I saw the note and thought, "Oh, great. What am I not doing right now?" - usually it's a reminder to use the hand sanitizer every morning or to make sure and send something home, but this time, it said:

To Kate
David was involved in a car accident. He can't take your class till this month. He'll be back on November.

Naturally, I'm thinking scared thoughts. Poor little David, what happened!? So, I ask my bosses and they say that he wasn't in the car, but hit by a car and that he's in the hospital, so I'm worried. I talk to Mr. C and he says David is in the ER and I ask, "How badly is he damaged; is he injured?" and Mr. C said, "Yes. He's damaged very much." - the lost in translation made it funny for almost an instant while trying to figure out what was being said in the moment and also with David (like an inappropriate moment when you want to laugh because you're getting yelled at by your parents and their faces are inhumanly red and you think, there's no way this is possible for that color of red to be on a face and it's not funny in the situation... but it is.). He got hit by a car when he was getting off his Korean school's bus, but hopefully he'd be okay and back in November. He was back yesterday.

Of course my Elementary students ask where David is the next class, and I told them he was hit by a car, but that he'll be alright and we should send him cards so he knows that we want him to get better and come back soon. I brought up some blank paper and I wrote, "David" "Get well soon" "Come back soon" "We miss you" blah, blah, blah in that same vein so the kids would have some idea of how to do this. I made one with a flower and a sunny day that said, "Get well soon!" and got a lot of reproductions.

This is Stephanie's card. Stephanie never listens - everything was written on the board, remember? But yet, we end up with "Davied came back soon!" He did... PS- Stephanie's last day was 10/30 because class was too hard for her and she's now having her mother tutor her instead (an English teacher who always seemed to do Steph's homework, seeing as how the kid never had a clue when it came to class but wrote lengthy and complex sentences compared to the other kids who copied sentences from the stories we read)
Inside. Also, she totally doesn't love Davied. Ellen honestly has a huge crush on him, though. Stephanie probably wrote it to spite Ellen; Jason said, "Ellen love David" and Ellen said, "No!" but totally looked down and blushed in embarrassment, then Stephanie pulled out that heart and "love" stuff... brat.
Just in case Davied was wondering, Stephanie likes one-eyed, one-eared rabbits, with hooks for feet/legs.
I really do love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!