Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blah blah blahh, BKK!

I loved it. I hated it. I wished I had someone to share it with.

Bangkok ended up being a pretty cool place.

I stayed at Refill NOW, which was a really nice place but terribly far away from anything and everything you wanted to see and do. That's what you get when you book blindly and late. For as far away and expensive as it was it was also really nice, and they did anything and everything to help me get to the places I needed to go to. The hostel itself was really new and clean, very modern and it's whiteness and cutesy decals on the doors reminded me of Japan.

I really enjoyed spending an afternoon at the BACC (Bangkok Arts Culture Center?) which was FREE!! WOW!! The first few floors, spiral-y floors - apparently they "borrowed" the design from the Guggenheim - were full of individual artists galleries, but the top floors! The top floors were where it was! Wow! For being modern art it was beautiful and not all all head scratching, just very entrancing. I like spending time in art museums, and it was one of the few places I actually felt comfortable with being alone. (Oooh! I forgot to write about it, but I went to the Rodin exhibit in Seoul, and wow! That man. It was really pretty awesome seeing the plaster mold of The Thinker and getting so close to the statues that I could blow the dust off them. I never knew much about Rodin, and although everything was in Korean on the descriptions, I got a really good view of him through the variety of his works; a lot of sensual/erotic pieces, The Embrace really reminded me of Gustav Klimt's The Kiss... I wish I had more art history knowledge to compare the pieces and the artists and their lifetimes... parents would've come in handy as their both well-versed in their knowledge of the art world.)

After wanting to the entire time, I finally took a motorbike as a method of transportation!! Everyone rides motorbikes in Bangkok. It's as if the city is one giant bike gang! Mothers and fathers with their multiple children hanging on as they zip and zoom between the traffic. Everybody edging their way through the hustle and bustle to get close to the waiting line, and then - they're off! once that light turns green, or before. The traffic is horrendous in BKK, so it's essential to have a 'bike if you want to get anywhere before your hair turns gray from the stress of the wait.

For my experience, when I first got on the bike I started to wrap my arms around the driver's waist and asked the hostel guy, "Is this how I do it?" thinking back to my days of dating hairy Italian, Long Island Bill and climbing on the back of his bike, White Lightning. No, he told me laughing, you hold on here. Pointing to the handles on either side of the seat.

The ride was all well and good until I got off, stumbled against the curb and onto my arse on the sidewalk. Sonouva!! Super klutz! Oosh! I took another one back from the errand of getting a new memory card, and got a helmet that time. Safety first! It didn't necessarily fit, but it's the thought that counts, right?

That's about it for Bangkok. I'm hoping to go back and catch a Ping Pong Show (I know! I know! But I'm young and I'm in Thailand, and when in Thailand - go to a PP show, right? No judgments from you! I might not even have the time to do it. I'm just saying that I want to, that's all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!