Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Can't Help But Smiling!

I am OPEN WATER DIVE CERTIFIED!!! I passed the SSI test with a 100 score!! It wasn't that hard though, to be honest... 10 year olds can pass it. But still, exciting!

Yesterday was our first day in the water, and wow! Even though we were only kneeling on the beach (under water) practicing the skill sets (removing and replacing the regulator - breathing apparatus; removing and replacing the mask; sharing air; yada yada yada) it was still cool. Then, me and this German chick, Paula, each had enough air left in our tanks, so we were able to swim under back to the boat. A small taste of what was to come today.

We dove to 12.5 meters two separate dives. Saw moray eels, sting rays, all sorts of fish and coral. It was incredible!! I felt a bit like an astronaut bouncing around on the sand at the beginning, trying to get my bearings. A bit awkward, but wow! Yesterday I kept smiling - I couldn't help it - but then water would get into my mask, and although I'm used to it now, it's not my favorite part clearing out the water under water. You have to take a deep breath into your regulator then look up as you heavily exhale out of your nose to clear out all the water. And you can't rub your eyes, y'know?! That's what I usually do, but you just have to blink it away. Tough.

I want to write more, but I'm also exhausted and we have a 6:30a meet-up time tomorrow, so as you folks and friends are getting home from the old axe-grind and sitting down to dinner I'll be under the sea - at 18 meters this time! Hopefully see some turtles and stuff. (I'm still feeling like I'm riding in the waves which is real strange.) I wish I had more time in this region of the world because I'd really love to do the Advanced course where you can go to 30 meters and do a wreck dive or a night dive, but unfortunately (not so much) I have to get to BKK to get to India on the 5th of October and hit up Cambodia and Vietnam before then. Such a hard life, right?! Sheesh. I love it.

Here's a song about smiling, and not being able to help it:

Enjoy! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!