Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Annyong Haseyo!

Well, that might be how you write "hello" in Korean, I'm not really sure... or it could be "yanyong"... it just depends on who you ask.

I'm here. It's strange and wonderful and exciting and confusing, and well, let's just say it's a learning experience. My bathroom is my shower - like the whole thing... bath tubs don't exist in homes, from what I understand, or at least not cheap studio housing, but rather the public goes to bath houses. Mayflies love my place. At least they're prettier (except up close, like in that link - eww!) than fat American flies. Youngtong (or Yeongtong) is smaller than I expected, but not really. For some reason I keep comparing it to SpongeBob's Bikini Bottom... don't ask me why - maybe because there are some tall buildings and it's foreign and usually smells like fish. I can see the Sea... bar from my window. Har har har. Youngtong is to Seoul what Evanston is to Chicago, to put it in American perspective for you.

The food is tasty. The drivers are crazy. I have my own class, three 3 year olds (but in Korea they're counted as aged 5, again, cultural difference, everyone turns another year older at the new year. You're 1 when you're born, and New Year, bam! 2... so if you were born in December, well, it's just difference.) and today I explained "Red Light! Green Light!" in gym class. One little boy was confused by the concept of stopping at a red light because he said his mother doesn't - neither do most, if not all, Koreans; stop lights are merely suggestions to driving. I had to explain that in this game the whole point is to stop on a red light and go on a green light. We're all learning together. Luckily, one of the kids in my class only speaks English and the other two will catch on quick... I hope. They all like to color, and they're all really cute as buttons!

I have a pre-K class in the morning from 10a-12:30p, then an hour for lunch and class again from 1:30-2:30, then I have an hour break (right now) and go into an hour long conversation topic class with 3-4 students, elementary aged. At least that's my Tuesday. I observed yesterday and I have my own classes today. It's fast-paced here. Everything; talking, walking, driving, etc.

My head is spinning, maybe? I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I'm eternally grateful to my fellow teachers, who have been so kind in showing me the ropes of the town and the school. I can't believe it's only Tuesday.

I have to get ready for class. I'll write more about the travel experience and arrival later.

Annyong! (also "goodbye," like "aloha") But in leaving you say, "annyong-he gyesayeo" and if you're the person staying in the place I believe it's, "annyong-ha gasayeo."

PS - my brosef sent me this clip from "Arrested Development"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!