Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pancakes, anyone?

Is it possible to get jet lag after two weeks? Does that happen? I've been really tired lately... maybe it's the fact that I'm working 50 hours a week, or rather sitting in my office for 20 of those hours... twiddling my thumbs, talking to family/friends on Skype, reading Sedaris articles on The New Yorker's webpage, talking with co-worker friends and who knows what else... sitting... NYT crosswords puzzlin' and the like.

As the Electric Prunes song goes, "I had too much to dream last night" and laid awake in my bed tossing and turning for what seemed like hours... though I'm sure it was only one, or less than. As usual, there were drunkards oot and aboot reeking havok on the otherwise quiet Youngtong night, and scooters roaring, and norebang (sp? I don't know, but it's karaoke) blasting on loud speaker. I don't mind this, in fact, it's fun to be sober and observe the silly drunks. On my way home from an internet cafe last night, my friend Rachel and I were talking and I lost our conversation as we walked past a group of 7-8 business people (drunk) playing a game similar to "the wave," complete with hoots and hollers as they jumped when the middle person pointed them out. It was amusing to say the least, and a regular occurrence, too. I was telling my Aunt Mary Lou about the affectionate Koreans, and how they hold hands and wrap their arms around each others' shoulders while they walk through the neon night. I said it was cute, she said they probably did it in order to stay upright. Touche! Regardless, it makes me smile.

Korea is like that. Making me smile, a lot. But then it also makes me blush and feel bashful being a foreigner and not understanding what the heck is happening around me.

But to the pancakes. Last night, in the internet cafe, I was writing an email to a friend and it smelled like pancakes, but my nostrils must've been fooled, because Koreans don't believe in breakfast the way Americans do. Like, it just doesn't exist. No pancakes, waffles, toast, bacon or eggs. OH MY!! And the hash browns and breakfast-y sweets are off the map, too - traditionally speaking. Koreans eat kimchi, rice and meat morning, noon and night. I do not agree, and therefore buy fruit, yogurt and granola from Home Plus. But those pancakes, man! They made me yearn for a tasty treat in the morning time. Maybe they had a maple syrup drink... I don't know.

Note: waffles are really big here, but as a dessert... topped with fruit and whipped cream, or chocolate sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!