Friday, September 11, 2009

Just call me Kate Teacher

It's true. I was looking forward to being called "Miss Kate," but they're all about keeping the "Teacher" in the title. It's professional, eh?

My days consist of... M-F, 9:50a - 12:30p (hour break for lunch) and 1:30p - 2:30p teaching my little preschoolers (3years old: Alex, Danny, Eric and Olivia) their alphabet, fruits/veggies and soon to be other themes, counting and math, PE, reading stories, singing songs, playing "Reader Rabbit: Sparkle Rescue" (SPACE PI-RATS!!), Arts and Crafts and Science. There's also plenty of play time which is either playing with blocks and a kitchen set in the classroom, or going across the hall to the Play Room.

Speaking of the Play Room, I made the mistake of pretending to be a lion one day - I think we read it in a story or something and I roared when I spoke as the lion and the kids loved it and wanted more... so yeah, I pretended to be a lion one day, chasing them around and roaring, and now everyday it's, "Kate Teacher, lion! Lion! Lion." I can't tell them no, but I do tell them, "Give lion 10 minutes, I just ate seven children and I'm too full" (if it's after lunch), or, "Shhh. The lion is sleepy." and then I sing, "In the jungle, the mighty jungle..." and they tilt their heads to the side and look at me confused, until I roar. Then they run away screaming, or turn around and shoot me, "Baow, baow, baow!" until I fall dead on the ground, but then I jump up and grab them as they run by. It's really fun and they get a "kick out of it," if you will. Yesterday I made little Eric be the lion, and he did such a good job of falling down and dying and shaking as the bullets hit him - it made me so proud. Their mimicry is outstanding, I must say! Then today I turned little Danny into a lion when I roared on him and then he turned and started cannibalizing my legs - it was weird and hilarious all at the same time.

Everyday they do something that surprises me and makes me laugh. They're silly kids and I really enjoy having them in class. It's pretty amazing that they had such a hard time even holding their crayons to write their names on the first day, and now they're writing their names on their worksheets without me even having to ask. WOW!!

I also teach elementary M, W, F from 4:30p - 6:55p. We read, go over vocabulary, write, read some more, talk about grammar... blah, blah, blah. There are only four of them and they've all already had a long day at their normal school so it's harder work getting them excited about stuff, but sometimes they tune in, and that's good. I do have to say I'm happy I only see them three days a week because it's a little more stressful teaching less responsive students.

Then I teach a Phonics class from 3p - 4p on Wednesdays, to 15 8-9 year olds, and they're a riot. Sometimes it's hard to get and hold their attention, but they make me laugh and they mean well. They're kids, I mean, c'mon. Sometimes I get frustrated about the language barrier, but I have to look at it as a challenge to approach teaching a different way, and they're so little and cute and I want to make sure they have fun, right?

Okay, I have to prep for my elementary... aka, drink some coffee.

Should be another good weekend!! We have my Welcome Dinner tonight and then it's off to the local bars and karaoke with co-worker friends, YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions, comments, concerns? Want to live vicariously through me - where should I go; what should I see? YOU tell ME!!